One to One Learning - Technology Rental Agreement
● 1 Apple iPad mini 2
In order to rent an Apple iPad mini 2 technology device and the resources associated with it, a student’s parent/guardian must agree with the terms and conditions detailed below and indicate their understanding of this agreement before their student may be issued a device. The terms and policy detailed below is a minimum requirement for all students participating in the One to One Learning Program at all Bremen District 228 high schools.
The following terms govern the use of the Apple iPad mini 2 rented from the District and identified on this form:
2. Home Use. The student is permitted to take the iPad mini 2 home at the end of the school day, on weekends and during breaks. Students that plan to return for the following school year are permitted to continue to use the iPad mini 2 during the summer months if their student accounts receivable balance is zero. Students that owe money at the end of the school year will be required to turn in their assigned iPad mini 2 prior to the last day of school.
3. Reasonable Care. It is the responsibility of the student and his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) to exercise reasonable care over the iPad mini 2 at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping the iPad mini 2 within the assigned/provided case at all times, the duty to secure the iPad mini 2 in a safe location and to otherwise take reasonable steps to protect it from damage and theft. For example, leaving the iPad mini 2 in an unsecured location can promote theft, and leaving an iPad mini 2 unattended in a car, even if secured, can lead to damage from temperature extremes. If a technology device is damaged as a result of the student and/or his/her parent(s)/guardian(s)'s failure to exercise reasonable care, the student and/or his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) will be responsible for a replacement fee for the iPad mini 2.
4. Student Expectations. Students are expected to bring their iPad mini 2 with them to school every day. It must be fully charged, in the provided case, and ready to be used upon arrival at school.
5. Insurance. Students and parent(s)/guardian(s) who pay the technology fee are automatically insured. The insurance covers accidental damage and loss/theft of the iPad mini 2. Families/students that are eligible for fee waivers are strongly encouraged to purchase the insurance plan for $20 annually. Repairs and replacement of the iPad mini 2 can be costly and the District will not waive the cost of repairs or replacement for uninsured students. Uninsured devices require a deductible to be paid before a replacement iPad mini 2 will be issued. In all cases of theft, the District requires that a police report be filed and a copy of the report be submitted, along with the insurance deductible, before a replacement will be issued. In certain situations the student may be loaned a temporary iPad mini 2 while waiting for repairs or service to be completed.
a. The deductible amount for those opting out of insurance = $120 per repair
b. The deductible with insurance is $100 per repair.c.
The District is the only party authorized to repair/service the rented iPad mini 2. Any additional money spent by parents/students during the rental period will not be reimbursed. Renter remains liable for any damages identified during or after the rental period if/when the iPad mini 2 is turned in and inspected.
6. Return of Technology Device. The District may require the student to return the iPad mini 2 and/or related resources at anytime, including if the student is no longer enrolled in the District or at the end of the school year. The student must return the iPad mini 2 in the same condition as the District issued it. No permanent marks may be made on it or its accessories. Cases that have been decorated or modified will be required to be replaced with a clean/new case. IPad mini 2s that have been decorated or modified in any way will be assessed and the student will be responsible for any fines/fees accordingly. A student who fails to produce the iPad mini 2 and/or any related resources within 24 hours after such a request may be subject to discipline or other consequences. The District will impose fines for the cost or repair or the replacement of lost items. If the iPad mini 2 or any of its accessories is missing or damaged upon return, the renter will be responsible for the current replacement cost, referenced below (to be determined annually by the Board):
iPad mini 2 Base Price $300
Protective Case $30
c. USB-1M Apple Lightning Cable $19
USB-USB Power Adapter/Charger $19
9. Buyout Option. The assigned iPad mini 2 may be purchased from the District should a student be transferring out of the District and all other fees/charges are current. Buyout rates will be $225 after year one, $150 after year two, and $75 after year three. When an iPad mini 2 is purchased from the District, the ownership of it will be transferred to the parents/guardians/student. Once purchased, the iPad mini 2 will no longer be eligible for the District’s insurance coverage or any additional internal support services. At the conclusion of a four-year rental agreement, the device will become the property of the student for no cost if all fees owed to the District have been paid in full.
Technology Device Safety
1. Filter. The District may filter or block any material on the iPad mini 2 that the District, in its sole discretion, deems to be inappropriate, including certain Internet sites. The District may grant requests to adjust filters or unblock sites/service for bona fide educational purposes. The presence or lack of filters or blocks do not relieve the student and/or his or her parent(s)/guardian(s) of their responsibility to comply with requirements of this Agreement or the District's Acceptable Use Policy and does not relieve the parent(s)/guardian(s) of their responsibility for supervising the student's use outside of school.
2. Safety Training. The District provides basic training in Internet safety & digital citizenship as part of the curriculum. It is the responsibility of the student's parent(s)/guardian(s), however, to ensure the student uses the iPad mini 2 in a safe and appropriate manner at all times.
3. Supervision Off School Grounds. The District's rental of the iPad mini 2 to the student does not create any duty on the part of the District to provide supervision of the use of the iPad mini 2 or protection of the student regarding use of it off school grounds or outside of school hours. It is the sole responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian(s) to supervise the student’s use of the iPad mini 2 when off school grounds or outside of school.
No Expectation of Privacy
1. District Right to Monitor. Users have no expectation of privacy in materials or content created, received, sent, viewed, or otherwise accessed on the iPad mini 2 even if using a personal account (such as a personal webmail or social media account). The iPad mini 2 may contain tracking and/or monitoring software that allow the District to obtain and record information concerning use of the iPad mini 2. The District may review and record activities on the Internet, use of personal, password protected websites and accounts, webmail, social media, or other accounts accessed on the iPad mini 2. The District may also use tracking location services or a mobile device management system to identify the geographic location of the iPad mini 2. The District may install and use such software for the purposes described above at any time, including but not limited to, if the iPad mini 2 is lost, stolen or not returned. Students and/or their parent(s)/guardian(s) will not be notified individually when such software is used for the purposes described above. The District will not actively track or monitor the use of the iPad mini 2s outside the District’s internal network. As a result, the District is not responsible for assisting with the recovery of any lost or stolen devices no matter where or when the loss occurs. The iPad mini 2s/Apple ID accounts include access to a “Find My iPad” feature that enables the registered account holders to attempt to locate their iPad mini 2s via Apple’s online services. Use of the Find My iPad feature will be covered during the initial mandatory training session. While this service may be used to attempt to recover or locate a device, it does not guarantee that this application/utility will locate or recover your iPad mini 2.
2. Passwords. The student must provide requesting staff members with all passwords/ passcodes to the iPad mini 2 and its contained software or applications upon request. Failure to provide staff with access to it may result in lost content due to the resetting process. In addition, the student may also be subject to discipline or other consequences if he or she is unwilling to provide such access.
3. District Retention of Records Created by the Device. The District may retain any records, including but not limited to electronic communications, such as emails and messages on personal social media accounts, from the technology device that it determines must be retained by law, including public records under the Local Records Act, school student records under the Illinois Student Records Act, and educational records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
1. Non-School Related Uses. The iPad mini 2 is intended for use only by the student for school related/educational purposes. The student may engage in non-school related uses if such uses comply with all District policies and procedures and if such uses do not interfere in any way with the student’s ability to use the iPad mini 2 for school-related uses.
2. Lending of Device Prohibited. The student may not lend his or her iPad mini 2 or related resources to anyone, including members of the student’s family, for any reason. Loss or damage of the iPad mini 2 while in use by anyone other than the assigned renting student will not be covered by the District insurance program.
3. District Policies. The student’s use of the iPad mini 2 must comply with all requirements of all District policies and procedures including, but not limited to, the Acceptable Use of Technology policy, other technology policies and procedures, and the student discipline code, regardless of where or when the student’s use occurs. This means that any use by a student of an iPad mini 2 will be subject to discipline as if the activities had occurred during school hours on school grounds, regardless of whether the conduct occurs off-campus and/or on the student’s free time. The District reserves its right to block application functionality, implement security measures, change device settings, or take any other administrative or security steps, as deemed necessary in the District’s sole discretion. Any attempt to modify the iPad mini 2 or its equipment including, but not limited to, changing Internet access settings will be construed as a violation of the District’s Acceptable Use of Technology policy.
4. Installation of Applications. Each student will be required to create an Apple ID. This will allow the student to download applications (apps) and content from the App Catalog/iTunes/App Store. Bremen High School District 228 may provide the students with redeemable application codes or links to applications for specific courses. These codes will be provided directly and only to the assigned student, and once redeemed cannot be transferred, reused or reclaimed. If a student’s provided codes are redeemed on an alternative Apple ID, the District will not provide additional redemption codes and it will be the parent/student’s responsibility to acquire the application(s) needed for use in the classroom. These Apple ID accounts should be initially created without the need for a credit card or alternative payment method provided. Parents/students may choose to associate a credit card or gift card to make additional purchases at their own discretion. There are a large number of free apps available that the District will utilize as much as possible/appropriate. Parents/guardians acknowledge that the District is not responsible for the operator’s activities performed while using any applications. Any charges due to Apple or other third parties merchandise providers that are generated from within any application or content/media (aka “In-App Purchases”) are the responsibility of the renter/account holder. The District is not responsible for disposition of personal applications when the device is returned. The District is not responsible for any software loaded on home computers or the effect or interaction that the iPad mini 2 or its software may have on the home computer’s programs or other systems.
5. Storage Management. Students must maintain sufficient memory to accommodate all school-required content. The iPad mini 2s have a finite amount of local storage space available and required school content will take priority over personal content such as photos, videos, music or non-required apps.
6. Revocation of Use. The use of the iPad mini 2 and the District’s network is a privilege, not a right. The District may revoke the student’s right to use the iPad mini 2 and related services at any time it deems appropriate, including where the student violates this Agreement or District policy or procedure. Additional details provided within Bremen High School District 228’s Student Handbook and Board Policies:
a. Student Handbook, Permissible Use of Computers
Student Handbook, General Use of District Computers, Internet & Electronic Mail Communications
c. Student Handbook, Consequences of Misuse of Computer Network or Internet
Board Policy 7:140, Search and Seizure
Board Policy 7:180, Prevention of & Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment
f. Board Policy 7:190, Student Discipline