Department Meeting Date: Nov. 9, 2016
Location: TP IMC Computer Lab
Time: 7:00 am, 2:25 pm, 3:25 pm
Supervisor: Colin Milton
Secretary: Karyn Prim
2017 AP Testing Dates
May 1, Noon: AP Psychology
May 4, 8 AM: Government
May 5, 8 AM: U.S. Government
May 12, 8 AM: Human Geography,
Microeconomics, European History
Social Studies Mission Statement:
Social Studies is the integrated study of the Social Sciences and Humanities to promote civic competence. The primary purpose of Social Studies is to help young people make informed and reasoned decisions in their personal lives and for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.
Social Studies Overarching Understandings:
1. The student will understand that the U.S. governmental systems are comparable to other governmental systems throughout the world.
2. The student will understand that civic competency influences a democratic society.
3. The student will understand that the United States free-market system is comparable to other economic systems and applicable to consumer skills in the selection of products and/or services.
4. The student will understand that the United States and Illinois have influenced the history of the world.
5. The student will understand that geography influenced global and American society.
6. The student will understand that human behavior is impacted by individual and group behavior.
BHS WWII Re-enactment
Bremen D228 Social Studies Department